Hi, I'm Charles-Axel Dein.
I'm a husband, a dad and a self-taught software developer, currently starting my own company.
My previous work experience include:
- 3 years of engineering manager experience at Uber in San Francisco and Amsterdam.
- 2 years of software engineering experience at Uber in San Francisco.
- 2 years of innovation consulting at faberNovel in Paris and San Francisco.
My areas of interest are:
- Startup entrepreneurship
- Software engineering
- Engineering management
- Design & typography
I completed a Masters at Sciences Po Rennes, studying the four Sciences Po main domains: Law, Economy, History and Political Science. I majored in Economy & Finance. I also completed a one-year curriculum at engineering school École Centrale Paris, majoring in Technology and Management.
This page might be outdated. Checkout my LinkedIn profile: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesaxeldein.
Here's a short biography you can use:
Charles-Axel Dein is a software engineer and an engineering manager with more than eight years of experience scaling teams and technologies. He joined the transportation company Uber in July 2012, and took part in the exponential growth that followed: building teams from scratch to 40+ engineers, developing products from idea to millions of users, and scaling service to hundred of thousands of request per seconds.
My area of expertise are:
- Building high-performance organization
- Hiring engineers and managers: process, interviews, sourcing, training, countering biases
- Managing performance and giving feedback
- Achieving quality and speed (testing, code reviews, etc.)
- Maintaining reliability (incident response, monitoring, etc.)
- Fostering continuous learning
- Conducting 1-1
- Increasing your personal productivity
- Implementing simple project management processes
- Scaling products and technologies
Engineering Manager, Uber (July 2013 - November 2017)
I have managed a couple engineering teams since July 2013.
Software Developer, Uber (2012 - 2013)
- charlatan: a Python library to efficiently manage and install database fixtures
- cassette: store and replay HTTP requests made in your Python app
faberNovel helps big companies think and act like startups. I took part in strategic consulting missions, as well as designed and implemented new services & products for large companies.
I participated in two of faberNovel's annual white papers. Both have been featured on TechCrunch and were very well received:
I first studied law, history, economy and political sciences at Sciences Po Rennes, then went to the engineering school École Centrale Paris (now CentraleSupélec) to study technology & strategy in Paris, France.
I wrote a dissertation about Google Chrome: Free Software as a launching platform.