Hi, I'm Charles-Axel Dein!
I'm a self-taught software developer and engineering leader.
I'm currently the CTO of Octopize, a startup specialized in security and privacy.
My previous work experiences include:
- 1.5 years as VP of Engineering at Gens de Confiance.
- 2 years of founding a startup (Skrib), building its back-end (Go and Python), front-end (React, TypeScript) and infra (Terraform, AWS) from scratch.
- 3 years of engineering manager experience at Uber in San Francisco and Amsterdam.
- 2 years of software engineering experience at Uber in San Francisco.
- 2 years of innovation consulting at faberNovel in Paris and San Francisco.
My areas of interest are:
- Startup entrepreneurship
- Software engineering
- Engineering management
- Design & typography
I completed a Masters at Sciences Po Rennes, studying the four Sciences Po main domains: Law, Economy, History and Political Science. I majored in Economy & Finance. I also completed a one-year curriculum at engineering school École Centrale Paris, majoring in Technology and Management.
Feel free to contact me via email (email@example.com)
This page might be outdated. Checkout my LinkedIn profile: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesaxeldein.
Here's a short biography you can use:
Charles-Axel Dein (aka Charlax) is currently the CTO of Octopize, a startup specialized in data security and privacy. He is passionate about building high-performance engineering teams that deliver great product with a deep impact on the physical world. His previous software development and engineering management experiences include faberNovel (Paris and San Francisco), Uber (San Francisco and Amsterdam) and Gens de Confiance (Nantes): building products from idea to millions of users, scaling services to hundreds of thousands of request per second, building 50+ people teams from scratch. When he's not busy recruiting, he enjoys spending time with his family, developing software, reading about history and woodworking!
My area of expertise are:
- Building high-performance organizations
- Hiring engineers and managers: process, interviews, sourcing, training, countering biases
- Managing performance and giving feedback
- Achieving quality and speed (testing, code reviews, etc.)
- Maintaining reliability (incident response, monitoring, etc.)
- Fostering continuous learning
- Conducting 1-1
- Increasing your personal productivity
- Implementing simple project management processes
- Scaling products and technologies
- Full stack development
- Security best practices
Managing the data science and data engineering team.
VP of Engineering, Gens de Confiance (Jan 2020 - Sept 2021)
- Managing back-end and front-end team
- Contributing to back-end, front-end and infra code
- Stack: PHP, TypeScript, React, Terraform, Python, AWS
Cofounder and CEO, Skrib (Jan 2018 - Dec 2019)
Built the whole stack:
- Front-end: React
- Back-end: Python and Go
- Infrastructure: AWS, terraform, lambda
Engineering Manager, Uber (July 2013 - November 2017)
I have managed a couple engineering teams since July 2013.
Software Developer, Uber (2012 - 2013)
- charlatan: a Python library to efficiently manage and install database fixtures
- cassette: store and replay HTTP requests made in your Python app
faberNovel helps big companies think and act like startups. I took part in strategic consulting missions, as well as designed and implemented new services & products for large companies.
I participated in two of faberNovel's annual white papers. Both have been featured on TechCrunch and were very well received:
I first studied law, history, economy and political sciences at Sciences Po Rennes, then went to the engineering school École Centrale Paris (now CentraleSupélec) to study technology & strategy in Paris, France.
I wrote a dissertation titled "Google Chrome: Free Software as a launching platform".